Adding patio doors to your Winnipeg, MB home is a great way to make it more accessible to the outdoors, bring in natural light, and even up your home value. However, there are a lot of patio door options out there, and it can be hard to know which one to choose. Not to mention that installing patio doors is tough.
The entire process can be overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. Follow these 10 steps to make your patio door buying and installing processes easy, and your new doors amazing.
- Check For Performance – High quality doors should have airtight seals for weatherproof performance and energy efficient function. Inspect the corners and edges of the frames for cracks and crevices, and if the door has windows, make sure they tilt or open easily for ventilation and maintenance.
- Trust the Professionals – Your contractor and vendor know what they’re talking about. Listen to their advice and recommendations when making your decisions, but never feel pressured if you don’t agree.
- Think About Adding Extras – Double or triple-paned glass panels for door windows and extra thick doors not only help keep energy costs down, but also keep unwanted sound out for a more quiet and comfortable home. Think about investing in extras for added efficiency or safety.
- Read the Label – Most doors these days come with labels detailing their energy efficiency ratings. Be sure to read the labels to make sure doors you like match your energy efficiency needs and preferences.
- Follow All Local Codes – There are patio door installation codes in place to ensure you and your family’s safety. Be aware of such codes, and take care to follow them.
- Measure – While contractors and professional measure the space, it’s always a good idea to measure yourself as well.
- Triple Check – Double and triple check all of your measurements before giving them to your contractor. This ensures a good fit and tight seal for weatherproof systems.
- Install Flashing – Even the highest quality patio doors can leak at the top without flashing or drip caps, so don’t forget to think about and install flashing.
- Bonus Protection – Storm doors are a great way to protect your home from severe weather and potential intruders.
- Don’t Forget the Trim – It’s easy to forget the finishing touches. Your patio doors won’t look complete without new trim to go with them. Have fun and add other accessories and extras too, like lights and new hardware.
If you’re still stressed about finding new patio doors, Pioneer Window & Door Mfg Ltd is here to help. We offer a range of Winnipeg, MB patio door services and would love to guide you through the process. You can stop by our showroom, located at 8 Fast Lane Headingley, MB, R4H 0C5, to see some options in person. You can also call us at (204) 889-8422 for more information, or to get the process started.