There are lots of different kinds of entry doors in Winnipeg, MB, so how do you choose the right ones for your home? The best place to start is with the basics. Learn more about the different kinds of entry doors so you can be better prepared to choose the best one for your home.
Some of the basic types of entry doors are:
- Fiberglass – Fiberglass doors are a practical choice. They have a smooth surface that can easily be embossed with a wood-like texture, and can also be made with edge treatments for more personality. Fiberglass doors are pretty tough against wear and tear, and can be painted or stained. They are moderately priced, but can crack under severe impact.
- Steel – Steel doors take up about half the door market. This is because they are relatively inexpensive and offer better security when compared to fiberglass and wood doors. They require minimal maintenance, and are also very energy efficient. However, steel doors don’t resist weather as well as fiberglass or wood doors, and do not hold up well under abuse laboratory tests that mimic strong winds, torrential rain, or long-term wear and tear. It’s also important to keep in mind that steel doors are hard to fix if dented or scratched.
- Wood – Wood is the high-end material that other doors always try to mimic. They are the toughest in the face of wear and tear, and are the least likely of all door materials to dent. If they do dent or scratch, they’re relatively easy to repair. Wood doors, though, can be very expensive. They also require lots of maintenance to look their best.
Once you narrow down what kind of material you want your new entry door to be, you should think about any extra features you might want to add, like:
- Adjustable thresholds help keep the door weather and water tight over time. Without an adjustable threshold you may need to add a new sweep over time.
- Glass inserts are an easy way to personalize your entry door. Though glass inserts add to the overall cost, they are always attractive. If you add glass close to the door’s lock, think about adding a double cylinder dead bolt for extra security so a burglar can’t just break the glass to get in. You can also add glass to the top or center of an entry door.
- Rails and Stiles are the horizontal and vertical braces on a wood door. Solid wood models may bow or warp over time, so its important to look for rails and stiles made from laminated wood covered with a veneer for extra warping resistance.
If you want to learn more about Winnipeg, MB entry doors, Pioneer Window & Door Mfg Ltd is here for you. We have years of industry experience we can use to guide you to the best entry door for your home. Meet us in person at 8 Fast Lane Headingley, MB, R4H 0C5, or give us a call today at (204) 889-8422.