A whole-home window replacement project is a pretty big venture to take on. Much to the dismay of many homeowners here in Selkirk, MB and elsewhere, there is more involvement than simply walking into a showroom of random choosing and pointing at one window style to complete the project. Obviously, there is extensive cost, time, energy, research, and creativity to exert to ensure the job is done right-and done right the first time. There is homework to be done!
Our team of professionals here at Pioneer Window & Door Manufacturing wants to make your whole-home replacement window project an enjoyable one. You will still need to do your homework, but our aim is to simplify the process and have a little fun along the way. To get you started in the right direction, here are some key areas of focus which should help you make a more informed decision-regardless of the installation company you choose:
This is a good place to start. It’s presumptuous of us to assume most homeowners know the lingo in the window installation world like we do, right? Listening to us talk amongst ourselves may sound like Greek to the typical client! Here are some terms with which to familiarize yourself:
- Window styles: single- and double-hung, awning, casement, picture, slider, bow, bay, transom, shape. A quick search on the internet will give you a great idea of each of these (plus, you’ll impress your Pioneer professional!).
- Miscellaneous installation terms (you’ll eventually hear these often!): jamb, thermal break, hardware, sash, pane, Low-E, cladding, grilles, argon gas, airspace. Each of these has to do with a specific feature within many types of windows.
This, of course, is not a complete list of frequently asked questions, but this will get you starting to think about what you do and do not need to prepare for, before signing a contract.
- How do I choose a reputable company?
Do some research. Look at things like the years the company has been in business and what previous clients have to say about their work and timeliness.
- How do I evaluate my candidates?
Simple. You ask questions and request an appointment with each candidate, including references and examples of their recently completed work.
- Who should have impact-resistant glass in their homes?
This is a good option for homeowners living in coastal areas and any other area prone to strong storms and hurricanes. Depending on the specific impact-resistance the glass is designed for, there are great options for homeowners who want to add noise-proofing and security for their families and belongings. Now, impact resistant windows are not a 100% solution to strong winds and intruders, but it is a significant added security. In truth, any glass, if struck repeatedly with powerful blows, will finally shatter. But, most impact-resistant glass will stay in the frame when broken, which causes a forced entry to be a much more time-consuming and difficult.
- Is it better to go with a company that manufactures its own products?
Yes. There is nothing wrong with a company who partners with outside manufacturers at all, but to have a one-stop shop means there is cost savings for you, the client. Further, this likely means they service their own products, should an issue or break arise.
Considerations for choosing valuable windows:
The most significant advice we can give you is simple: do not get tunnel-vision! You may think you know exactly what you want, but there is a good chance there are options that are various options conducive to your home’s architecture, size, and style and your budget.
- Durability: Here in Canada, the weather is an important factor. The rain and snow take a toll on any window, so you want to ensure you choose a window known for its durability.
Examples of questions to be thinking about: How does this window vs. this window measure-up against heavy snow and strong storms? Which windows are best for the Northern climate and weather? Can I add impact-resistant glass to any window of my choosing?
- Beauty/style: a replacement windows project is the most significant aesthetic improvement you can make to your home. Quality windows with luxurious finishes and features improve the value of your home for resale and/or equity-should you need or want to use it one day.
- Safety: families with small children or in heavily populated areas will want to consider the safety features available. Features such as impact-resistant glass, added lock features and mechanisms, lock placement (to keep from the reach of little hands), etc.
The team here at Pioneer wants to make your window replacement project as enjoyable as possible! We hope these key areas of focus have your creativity juices flowing. Give us a call as soon as you’re ready to tackle your next window replacement project!
Pioneer Window & Door Mfg Ltd | 8 Fast Lane Headingley, MB, R4H 0C5 | 204.832.5586