What better way to enjoy your indoor and outdoor spaces than with welcoming patio doors on your Winnipeg, MB home? Patio doors, when chosen correctly, can quickly become your home’s most beloved part. They offer easy access to your outdoor space and clear views of natural light, plants and the sky from the indoors. Modern patio doors also offer energy efficiency and high-quality locking mechanisms for better security.
There are a lot of different patio doors on the market today, with variations in designs and materials. Learn more about each kind so you can be better prepared to choose the ideal patio doors for your home.
Patio Doors Designs
The design or style of your patio doors depends on your preferences for both function and aesthetics. There are three main types of patio doors:
- Swinging Patio Doors or hinged patio doors, are very similar to everyday exterior doors. They are available with full or partial glass paneling and are typically hung in center fashion with each door swinging outward from the central pole. Swinging patio doors are also available in the classic French Door style for a more elevated look.
- Sliding Patio Doors are the most popular type of patio door as they are easy to install and even easier to maintain. Otherwise known as bypass or gliding doors, sliding patio doors typically have two or more panels with one of the panels tuned to slide in and out on hidden rollers.
- Folding Patio Doors are another popular option because they allow for an extra-wide entrance to your outdoor area. Functioning like an accordion, folding patio doors slide in and out on a hidden track and fold away on the sides. Folding patio doors can have up to eight leaves, and generally also come with glass paneling for outdoor views and natural light.
Patio Door Materials
Once you decide on a patio door design you get to decide on what type of material you want your doors to be made from. The basic types of patio door materials are:
- Fiberglass – Fiberglass looks and feels like natural wood, but does not require as much maintenance. Fiberglass patio doors are durable for any type of climate.
- Wood – The most classic material for patio doors, wood is visually appealing and strong. However, wood requires a lot of upkeep in terms of painting and checking for mold.
- Vinyl – Vinyl is a plastic material that offers energy efficiency, durability, and visual appeal for your patio doors. Its climate-resistant construction does not fade, peel, flake or rot on harsh weather.
While what kind of patio doors you choose is ultimately up to you, we here at Pioneer Window & Door Mfg Ltd are happy to help you make that choice. We offer a range of Winnipeg, MB patio door services, and can recommend options for your home. Visit our showroom at 8 Fast Lane Headingley, MB, R4H 0C5 to see some patio doors in person, or give us a call at (204) 889-8422 for more information.