Whether or not you have full-blown Seasonal Affective Disorder or are just feeling a bit down during the dreary winter months, you can pick yourself up again with a few home renovations, like adding new colors or replacement windows to your Lockport, MB home.
Wintertime blues are very common and serious. In fact, they have an official diagnosis: Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD. According to Psychology Today, about 20% of people experience some kind of SAD during the winter months. Here are a few helpful ideas to bring sunshine and happiness to your home:
- Play with Feng Shui – Whether or not you can invest in full-blown renovations, try moving around your furniture to maximize the amount of natural light you get in a day. Place a comfy chair beside a sun-filled window so you can bask in the sun for a few minutes each day. Rearrange your bedroom so the sunshine wakes you up in the morning. Or get a lightbox to provide artificial illumination that mimics natural sunlight.
- Let the Light Shine In – It’s a fact: sunlight can improve sleep and mood, lower blood pressure, and even increase vitamin D levels for stronger bones and overall health. Bringing more natural light into your home is a wonderful way to fight back winter blues and feel better in general. If you can, invest in some new replacement windows to increase the amount of natural light you get. You can also try trimming away branches, shrubs, or other growth to let more sunlight in through your existing windows. Worried about too much light? Invest in some window treatments that can help you customize the light at different times of day.
- Boost the Heat – Cold, drafty air doesn’t feel good. Make sure your home is warm, comfortable, and conducive to a good mood by taking care of drafty windows, doors, and other chilly areas. Insulate your pipes and ductwork, seal air leaks, and add a draft guard to doors. When not using your fireplace, be sure to keep the damper closed. Replace old, draft windows with new replacement windows, and consider adding insulating window treatments.
- Bring in Greenery – Natural and artificial greenery is wonderful for boosting your mood. Add some new house plants to your collection or start an indoor garden with easy-to-care-for plants or a hydroponic system. You can try plants just for decoration and color or experiment with herbs for cooking.
- Add Color – Wintertime is one of the best times of year for adding some new color and life to your home. Look online or in magazines for color inspiration, but don’t forget to consider trends and what will look good in five years. If you don’t want to commit to a new color in an entire room, try making statement walls with pops to color to boost your mood and add some fresh style.
Do you want more home improvement tips or information on Lockport, MB replacement windows? Pioneer Window & Door Mfg Ltd is here to help with expert advice and services. Call or visit us today.