There’s nothing like annoying, creepy, crawly bugs to put a damper on your summer fun. What can you do? Summertime means we’re going to have to deal with more bugs. These tips, like using special candles or installing shutters on the replacement windows on your Headingley, MB home, can help keep the bugs away:
- Cover Food While Outdoors – Flies and other bugs are always looking for food, so they’ll surely be attracted to your BBQ, salad, or even that glass of wine you like to enjoy on your deck. Cover your food while outdoors so you don’t attract the bugs.
- Use a Fan – Oscillating fans often create breezes that are strong enough to blow flying bugs like flies, mosquitos, and bees off course. Use fans inside and outside your home to keep them away from an area like the dinner table or patio.
- Seal the Windows – Many windows have gaps that make it easy for bugs to sneak inside your home. Make sure your windows are sealed by investing in new, tight replacement windows or by trying out effective treatments like window shutters.
- Plant Specific Plants – There are some plants that insects cannot stand. For example, mosquitos hate the smell of peppermint, sage, rosemary, and lavender. Plant these plants in flower beds, planters, or pots around seating areas to keep the bugs away.
- Get Rid of Standing Water – Mosquitos breed in standing water. So, if you want to keep your home free of these biting pests, get rid of any standing water you have in or around your home like barrels, planters, ditches, or dehumidifiers.
- Try Natural Repellants and Traps – If you’re not a fan of chemical insect repellants or traps, try natural remedies. For example, spray windows and doorframes with white vinegar and water to keep the ants away or put a small dish of white wine out on your counter to attract and drown fruit flies. Also, spiders hate the smell of fresh peppermint, so spray down your doors and windows with a solution of peppermint essential oil and water.
- Check Your Basement at Attic – These areas are ripe for issues like cracks, open vents, leaky pipes, and other ways that bugs can sneak in. Caulk all openings around laundry vents, chimneys, and pipes, and seal larger openings with steel wool.
- Clean Up – Bug are attracted to food, so if there are crumbs or food bits out in your home the bugs will want to come in for a bite. Make sure your countertops and floors are wiped clean and be sure to properly store food away in the fridge or cabinets.
Pioneer Window & Door Mfg Ltd is here to help if you want more tips on home improvements or Headingley, MB replacement windows. Call or visit us today to learn more about what we can do for you and your windows. After all, the best way to keep bugs out of your home is to seal them out with quality replacement windows and window treatments.