Are you buying a new home? Searching for a new home is exciting — especially when you find what seems to be the perfect house. But just because a house appears perfect doesn’t mean it is. If you’re not careful, you could spend tons of money on a home and then turn around and spend even more money on fixes including replacement windows in Selkirk, MB. When shopping for a home, be on the lookout for these red flags to help you make a wise decision:
- Condensation on the Windows – Foggy windows or windows with condensation in between the panes are not good, as these are signs that the windows have a broken seal and are no longer airtight or energy efficient. The good news is that foggy windows are easily fixed if you replace them with brand new replacement windows. However, you need to consider if you want to add that cost to the costs of buying a new home.
- Sagging Ceilings – Sagging ceilings can be from foundation issues to leaks, both of which mean lots of money to spend on repairs. Be sure to check for sagging ceilings, bubbles in ceiling paint, or wet spots on the ceiling when viewing a home.
- A Forest of Sale Signs – Take a look at the neighborhood. Are there lots of For Sale signs? If so, it might not be as great of an area as you thought. Do further research into the neighborhood before buying.
- Cracks in the Foundation – Cracks in a foundation can cause a host of issues from floor damage all the way to major structural dangers. Check the home’s exterior, basement, and under the floors to for foundation cracks.
- Signs of Termite Damage – All termite species hollow out wood and chew through it, leaving the home damaged, unsanitary, and potentially dangerous. When you inspect a home, check for signs of termite damage in wood walls, floors, and ceilings including discolored paint or wood, bubbles in wood or paint, mud tubes, and insect wings.
- Curved or Sloping Floors – If floors in a house are sloping, you might be facing serious structural issues from rotten floor supports and collapsed beams to soil or foundation problems. To easily check for sloping floors, bring a marble with you to a viewing and place it on the floor. If it rolls around, the floor is most likely not level.
- Water Damage – Stains, bubbles, or spots are classic signs of water damage. Keep an eye out when looking at the home for these signs as water damage can cause aesthetic and structural problems as well as mold growth, which is bad for your health. One water stain isn’t necessarily a big deal, but we recommend double-checking with a professional inspector to ensure that what you see isn’t an indication of a larger issue beneath the surface.
Looking for more replacement window tips? Whether or not you are in the market for a new home, we are here to help with all of your Selkirk, MB replacement window needs. Call or visit us today to learn more about our offerings.